Monday, October 3, 2016

Vocab #5

1. venomous- secreting venom; capable of injecting venom by means of a bite or sting
    Sentence- Snakes are known for being venemous.
2. stolid- calm, dependable, and showing little emotion or animation
    Sentence- When I get nervous I try my best to stay stolid.
3. hypnotized- produce a state of hypnosis in someone
    Sentence- I don't think I have ever been hypnotized.
4. suspended- temporarily prevent from continuing or being in force or effect
    Sentence- Many troublemaker get suspended from school when they do something bad.
5. transformed- make a thorough or dramatic change in the form, appearance, or character of
    Sentence- She transformed the girl into a different person with her make-up.
6. accuse-a person or group of people who are charged with or on trial for a crime
    Sentence- The girl was accused on something she didn't do.
7. anticipate- regard as probable; expect or predict
    Sentence- I had to anticipate what was going to happen next.
8. fringe- an ornamental border of threads left loose or formed into tassels
    Sentence- The dress had fringe.
9. melancholy- a feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause
    Sentence- She spoke with a melancholy tone.
10. earnestly- fervent, intent, purposeful, determined, industrious, ambitious
      Sentence- I would consider myself as a earnestly student.
11. dissolve-become or cause to become incorporated into a liquid so as to form a solution
      Sentence- The pill dissolved inside my mouth as I drank water.
12. aggravate- make a problem, injury, or offense worse or more serious
      Sentence- The gesture aggravated me even more.
13. illuminate- light up
      Sentence- The joke illuminated my day.
14. capillary- a tube that has an internal diameter of hairlike thinness
      Sentence-Whenever Jane has a nosebleed, she knows a capillary vessel has burst. 
15. proboscis- an elongated sucking mouthpart that is typically tubular and flexible.
      Sentence- The elephant thrust his proboscis into the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment