Monday, September 19, 2016

FALL VOCAB 4

adroit- clever or skillful in using the hands or mind
          Welders using have adroit hands because they know where each piece of metal should go.
amicable-(of relations between people) having a spirit of friendliness; without serious disagreement or rancor.
          I would consider myself an amicable person.
averse- having a strong dislike of or opposition to something
          When they put the nose ring in my steer I    felt averse.
belligerent- hostile and aggressive
          When you mess with a dog they can usually get belligerent.
benevolent- well meaning and kindly
          I loved the way that teacher spoke, in a very benevolent way.  
cursory- hasty and therefore not thorough or detailed
          I didn't like how my floral arrangement was so cursory.
duplicity- deceitfulness; double-dealing
          My money was worth duplicity the second time through.
extol- praise enthusiastically
          When I hear music I love I extol it.    
feasible- possible to do easily or conveniently
          Playing and reading music is feasible to me.
grimace- an ugly, twisted expression on a person's face, typically expressing disgust, pain, or wry amusement
           The girl did a grimace expression when she smashed her finger with the door.
holocaust- destruction or slaughter on a mass scale, especially caused by fire or nuclear war
           I remember learning about the holocaust last year in Modern World History.
impervious- not allowing fluid to pass through
           The pipe was impervious because it had a hole.
impetus- the force or energy with which a body moves
           I would consider my legs impetus.
jeopardy- danger of loss, harm, or failure
          During the summer it was a jeopardy that if I would or would not show my steer at fair.
meticulous- showing great attention to detail; very careful and precise
          My friend is a meticulous worker.  
nostalgia- a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations
          I felt a strong rush of nostalgia as I thought back to my elementary days.
quintessence- the most perfect or typical example of a quality or class
          Babies are the quintessence of purity.
retrogress- go back to an earlier state, typically a worse one
          An addict can sometimes retrogress to its former stage.
scrutinize- examine or inspect closely and thoroughly
          I just had to scrutinize that milk fat, it's a dairy girl problem.
tepid- (especially of a liquid) only slightly warm; lukewarm
          The milk was quite tepid.

No comments:

Post a Comment